For foundations, there are lots of questions to reflect on when thinking about which evaluation practices best align with their strategy, culture, and mission. How much should a foundation invest in evaluation? What can they do to ensure that the information they receive from evaluation is useful to them? With whom should they share what they have learned?
Considering these numerous questions in light of benchmarking data about what other foundations are doing can be informative and important.
Developed in partnership with the Center for Evaluation Innovation (CEI), Benchmarking Foundation Evaluation Practices is the most comprehensive data collection effort to date on evaluation practices at foundations. The report shares data points and infographics on crucial topics related to evaluation at foundations, such as evaluation staffing and structures, investment in evaluation work, and the usefulness of evaluation information.
Findings in the report are based on survey responses from individuals who were either the most senior evaluation or program staff at foundations in the U.S. and Canada giving at least $10 million annually, or members of the Evaluation Roundtable, a network of foundation leaders in evaluation convened by CEI.
- Issue areas
- Nonprofits and Philanthropy
- Document type
- Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License
- What to read next
- Evaluating Development Co-operation: Summary of Key Norms and Standards
- GreatNonprofits Reviews
- Women's Empowerment Framework
- Linked data add horizontal_rule
This web page is marked up with Schema.org microdata and formatted for machine-reading. Here's why that matters. Have a peek at what a machine sees here.
- Benchmarking Foundation Evaluation Practices
- Publication date
- Publication year
- Charis Loh , Ellie Buteau , Jennifer Glickman , Julia Coffman , Tanya Beer
- Copyright holder(s)
- Center for Evaluation Innovation, The Center for Effective Philanthropy (CEP)
- Geographical focus
- North America / Canada, North America / United States
- foundation, CEI, grantees, program staff, respondents say
- Document type
- Dataset, Report/Whitepaper, Survey
- Resource provided by
- Issue Lab